I returned home last night from a business trip and immediately walked the garden to see what Japanese Morning Glories may bloom in the morning. Several of the Purple Princess project plants showed buds that would open. I also saw that several had already bloomed while I was gone. I was in the garden early this morning with the camera.
I have found that I learn so much about my plants by photographing them. By reviewing the images later, and having the ability to enlarge them, I find many details that would have gone un-noticed. While in the garden, I am always anxious to see the next bloom, or pressed for time to get to work so I really don’t take the time to study them like I should. Comparing discovered details with photos of siblings adds to the knowledge of the grow out. If I discover something new, having photos from days prior allows me to go back and check prior blooms of that plant or others for that detail.
Here are a few pictures from this morning. The flowers are nice, but not spectcular. I’m seeing that all the Japanese Morning Glory plants are growing larger this year because of the fertilization I’m providing, so I must re-calibrate my judgement of the presence/impact of the princess factor. In prior years, I was too concerned about over fertilizing, fearing I would suppress blooming and keep the plants in a vegetative state. I have subsequently learned that my sandy soil is so poor that I was actually limiting their growth!