Gerbera update

On April 19th I shared my initial efforts to get seed from my Gerbera Daisies.  My attempts at hybridizing may have been successful as on May 3rd I harvested several seeds from the red flower.  That same day I planted the seeds by inserting them vertically in seed starting medium, leaving the fluff visible on the surface.  The seeds were small and I wondered if they were even viable.  I used just one small container and set it outside with my Japanses Morning Glory seedlings.  The location gets bright light and partial sun.  Temperatures have been in the high 80’s during the day and low 70’s at night. 

This evening I noticed that 2 seedlings have emerged!  One is smaller than the other so it could be that the larger one came up yesterday.  That would be 7-8 days to germination under these conditions. 

Gerbera jamesonii seedlings

Gerbera jamesonii seedlings

If you look closely, you can see the sails of other seeds not yet germinated. 

I collected 23 seeds from the peach colored flower on May 8th and planted them the same day.  These seeds were plumper and hopefully will result in healthy seedlings as well.  (5/12/2009 update: This morning I can see that 2 of these seeds have germinated and are beginning to emerge.)

Gerbera cotyledon emerging from seed coat

Gerbera cotyledon emerging from seed coat

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s